Join the Knockderry team
When you work at Knockderry House you are more than just an employee, you are a valued team member and colleague. You can find out about employment opportunities at Knockderry House here. Knockderry House has a small and close-knit team. We are passionate about customer service and are constantly striving to improve what we offer.
Award winning hospitality...
The hotel has received numerous awards for the quality of its food, the restaurant and its customer service. We achieved 2 AA Rosettes in 2016. In addition we were awarded Fine Dining Hotel of the Year in 2017, and Romantic Hotel of the Year 2016 at the Scottish Hotel Awards and in 2018 we won a Grand Award – The Gold Laurel Award for Insight, Innovation and Investment.
Many of our staff have been with us for years with some returning to work for us. We offer a supportive working environment and attempt to encourage personal growth and development where at all possible. Several young team members have gone on to develop very successful careers in the hospitality industry based on their early experiences here at Knockderry House.
If you are interested in a career in hospitality and would like to discuss joining our team then do contact us directly.
Duty Manager / Supervisor
Responsible for: Shift Supervision
Salary: £11 per hr
Hours: 36 hrs, 4 shifts per week
Application: Please email email@example.com with your cv and a covering letter.
Do you have restaurant or bar experience and would like the opportunity to progress your career? We are looking for a Hotel Duty Manager / Supervisor to assist and deputise for the Front of House Manager.
The Duty Manager is the acting face of Knockderry House Hotel and as such must therefore always show a professional attitude. The DM will from time to time deputise for the Front of House or General Manager and thus must be able to think and act independently and command the respect of the Hotel staff.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
Leadership and Team Management
- Responsibility for Front of House staff during your period of duty.
- Awareness of staff morale, and team working.
- Own and accept responsibility for the resolution of all challenges and enquiries directed to you by Guests and team members whether resolved personally or with assistance, liaising with Senior Managers or Directors as required.
- General reception duties including:
- Checking guests in and out
- Taking reservations for guests
- Managing enquiries
Bar and Restaurant
- Managing the service of food and drinks
- Ensuring the bar and restaurant are efficiently run and stocked.
- Advising guests in the selection of food and beverage.
- Demonstrating a understanding of wines and food matching
- Managing restaurant reservations
- Building a rapport with guests
- Seeking out opportunities to exceed our guests’ expectations
- Ensuring all guests always receive a warm friendly welcome.
Stock Control and Purchasing
- The management and control of all bar stock.
- Assisting with the weekly stock control check
- Cellar management including the Beer Cellar
- You should have a food and beverage background
- You should have a keen interest in food and drink
- You should have the ability to multitask and keep calm under pressure.
- You must be extremely organized, personable, and level-headed.
- Full UK driving license essential
- Previous hotel or restaurant duty manager experience highly desired
- This role is a 36 hour per week contract working four days out of seven including evenings and weekends and reports to the General Manager.
- As Duty Manager, your responsibilities will include the security of customers and the building and may from time to time, be required to work early morning or late-night shifts and occasional may include an overnight sleeping shift.
We are looking for a sous chef to take over the role of second in command of the kitchen in this highly respected small 4-star country house hotel.
This role may suit a senior Chef de Partie looking to move up – however, the restaurant currently holds 2 rosettes for the quality of its dining and the successful candidate should be confident working at this level. In addition, Knockderry House prides itself in offering guests a range of healthy, nutritious menus with particular attention to dietary needs. In summary, we are looking for a chef with a passion for food and delivering first class hospitality to our guests.
Skills and Experience
- 2 years minimum experience working at a Senior Chef de Partie role in a 2-rosette environment.
- Experience within either 4* Hotel or a high-end quality Brasserie or dining experience is highly desired.
- The successful candidate will also be able to demonstrate a career with a good track record of progression and stability.
As part of a small kitchen team, you will be an integral part of the kitchen team, assisting the head chef with menu planning, costing and training. You will be expected to help the head chef maintain, manage, deliver, and execute all aspects of running a successful kitchen operation. In particular:
- Day to day support for the head chef in carrying out all duties required during times when the Head Chef is absent including but not limited to, ordering, discipline, maintenance of standards, business requirements, health and safety and food hygiene.
- Work with the head chef to produce diversified seasonal menus in accordance with the restaurant’s policy and vision and to a 2 AA rosette standard.
- Produce high quality 2 rosette dishes that match the established menu
- Ensuring that all dishes are prepared with attention to detail and to the highest standard.
- Assist in training and developing junior chefs to reach the high standards that are expected of a 2-rosette kitchen
- Training and overseeing the auxiliary kitchen staff to provide best results in minimum time.
- Resolve any issues that may arise in the kitchen.
- Make sure the hygiene and food safety standards are met in all stages of food preparation, starting with the ingredients, and ending with the finished dish which leaves the kitchen door.
- Make sure that the kitchen is secure and professional equipment is in good condition and signal any malfunction before it affects the staff or the clients.
- Develop good working relationships with and other staff in other departments to ensure excellent team spirit.
Terms and Conditions
- Full time working 5 shifts in 7 days
- £27,500.00 per annum
- Gratuities and hotel-based discount scheme
- Subsidised meals whilst on duty
- Staff Accommodation available
To apply, please contact us via email, with a current CV to arrange an interview.
The Hotel Manager manages the day-to-day operations of the hotel. This position has managerial authority and decision-making discretion with regards to hotel operations and team management. The Hotel Manager will develop departmental goals, with the management company, and will support Heads of Departments and their teams to ensure action plans are implemented to achieve them. The Hotel Manager must set the example for staff to deliver a standard of service and presentation that exceeds guests’ expectations.
The position is hands-on and operational, though the ideal candidate would also have demonstrable ability to provide strategic input and feedback. The Hotel Manager will be expected to discuss business performance in line with strategic targets and budgets set by management company and the business directors/owners.
- Administration of hotel operations and the implementation of service standards to maximise guest and employee satisfaction
- Oversight and management of rate and room inventory management using our PMS
- Direct hotel staff in implementing and maintaining existing regulatory procedures to ensure operational compliance.
- Review weekly work schedules (set in the first instance by Head of Front of House and the Head Chef) to ensure accurate staffing levels in line with business needs and staff employment agreements
- Perform monthly review of shift data and compile payroll information for accountants
- Oversee training for all new employees including compliance training, induction, and payroll registration
- Monitor progress and ongoing service standards of all staff. Perform performance reviews as required/directed
- Management of all operational systems (Mews, Lightspeed, Table Agent)
- Strategic assistance as required. The ideal candidate would proactively seek to assist set and achieve business goals, for example offering valuable insight into operational day-to-day and how this may be improved to increase overall performance.
Skills and Experience
- Previous working experience as hospitality manager is essential
- Experience of delivering and creating good HR practices such as, but not limited to, induction, grievance, discipline handling, and recruitment.
- Working experience in customer service or sales.
- Knowledge of the best practices and procedures for customer service, hospitality management, hotel operations
- Hands on experience with MS Office and relevant software including using a Property Management Systems and cloud-based EPOS systems.
- Excellent communication, leadership, relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving aptitude
A degree in business administration, hotel/hospitality management whilst desired is not essential, although the successful candidate must be able to demonstrate suitable experience in lieu of formal education.
This is ideally a live in position and a manager's flat is offered.