The history of Knockderry House tells the story of a Victorian family. The Anderson family moved from Glasgow in 1846 to build a summer home on the west coast of Scotland. There has been a dwelling of some kind on this site for centuries. Glaswegian merchants built summer homes on the Rosneath peninsula so they could easily sail down the Clyde and enjoy the countryside. The name means ‘hill of oak’ in Gaelic.
In 1890 Mr David Anderson, a wealthy wool merchant, decided to upgrade the house in the fashion of the day. As a result, he asked the well-known architect William Leiper, to draw up plans. Leiper added the music room and a master suite of rooms above, at same time as the turrets and towers that give the house its current distinctive look.
Many fine buildings in Scotland bear testimony to William Lieper’s long and distinguished architectural career. His designs were the product of his fruitful collaborations with artists such as his friend Daniel Cottier.