Things to Do
We are the ideal base for a wide variety of activity holidays. Whether you are after the breathtaking mountain scenery and hills for walking, or some of the best golf courses or sailing in Scotland, we are centrally located and able to offer good local advice and help in organising your activities during your stay.
All of the companies recommended have been personally selected by the owners as offering the best quality and choice in the area. In addition they have been assessed by previous guests and recommended for future visitors.
Here is our Top 10 List of Things to Do in the area.
- Hill House in Helensburgh – Part of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Tour and a must see when visiting the area. But there is also the little known Denny Tank Museum which is a true hidden gem tucked away in Dumbarton.
- Linn Botanic Gardens – These Edwardian Gardens are maintained privately and are only a short walk from the hotel. In addition for those who have an interest in the horticulture of the area we also recommend Geilston Gardens in Cardross.
- Waverley Paddle Steamer – the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world, fully restored with towering funnels, timber decks, gleaming varnish and brass.
- Inveraray – gateway to the Highlands and traditional county town of Argyll. Ancestral home of the Duke of Argyll, who founded the town in 1745.
- Train Journey on the West Highland Line – A train journey
through the Scottish Highlands. One of the most memorable train journeys in the world can be accessed from Garelochhead Station only 5 miles from the Knockderry House Hotel.
- Glasgow – Glasgow is one of Europe’s most exciting destinations and can be accessed by a short train journey straight into the heart of the city centre. Theatres, fantastic galleries and museums, restaurants and some of the best shopping in the UK.
- The Cobbler and Ben Lomond – two iconic walks both within a short drive of each other and the hotel.
- Loch Lomond – the largest fresh water loch in Scotland. See the loch from one of the many excellent cruises that populate the loch or cycle around it.
- Auchentoshan Distillery – The distillery closest to Glasgow and a short drive from the hotel is Scotland’s only triple distilled single malt. Excellent tours and educational visits.
- The Great Outdoors: Every kind of activity imaginable from Clay Pigeon Shooting to Golf, Canoeing to Cycling, the area has a multitude of things to do.